Several of our residents, including vulnerable elderly residents, have recently fallen victim to door-to-door sales misrepresentations and unclear contracts for water heaters, air conditioners, and furnaces.
The Ministry of Government and Consumer Services ask consumers to beware as complaints continue to increase each year. The Consumer Protection Act (CPA) gives you special rights when you buy something in your home that costs more than $50.00.
BEFORE YOU SIGN A CONTRACT
- Check a business’ track record by searching Ontario’s Consumer Beware List at: https://www.ontario.ca/page/search-consumer-beware-list.
- Ask for photo identification, the name of the sales person and company before the sales pitch, and keep all sales materials
- Don’t sign a contract on the spot. Know your rights, and check the contract carefully before signing.
CANCELLING A CONTRACT
Recently, the Ontario Government changed the Consumer Protection Act to better protect Ontarians. As a consumer, you:
- Have the right to cancel a contract for any reason with a 10 day cooling off period. For water heater contracts, there is 20 day cooling off period;
- Must get a written contract; under the CPA, a consumer contract has to include specific information about the goods or services and your rights as a consumer. If it doesn’t, you can cancel the contract within one year of signing.
- For cancellation letter tips visit: http://www.sse.gov.on.ca/mcs/Documents/cancellation_sample_letter_en.pdf
- For more information and to file a complaint visit Consumer Protection Ontario at https://www.ontario.ca/page/filing-consumer-complaint
Consumer Rights Inquiry Line
The fastest way to get help is to call the Consumer Rights Inquiry Line at 1-800-889-9768 or 416-326-8800 (TTY 1-877-666-6545 or 416-229-6086). Please also inform my office.
For your information, the entire Consumer Protection Act can be found at https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/02c30
Soo Wong, MPP
This website is provided for your convenience. If you'd prefer to call or email, my staff and I would be happy to hear from you.
New Program to Provide Funding for Inquests on Police-Related DeathsNews, Local News
Province Increasing Supports that will Help Connect People with Developmental Disabilities to Local Programs and ResourcesNews, Local News
Electrification Will Support Faster and More Frequent Service for Commuters and Families